12.1.13

Word Chain - Activity to help children learn vocabulary


This game is challenging enough to perform with any  group of children of any age. And it's useful if you want to review some vocabulary you've previously introduced.

First of all, we must choose a topic. This morning I was reviewing the parts of the body with a little girl. I started saying: "I have got a head, pointing to my head".

Then she had to repeated what I said and add another body part: "I have got a head and two hands". 


When it came my turn again I repeated "I have got a head, two hands" and I added "10 fingers". Then she said: "I have got a head, two hands, ten fingers and…" etc.

The game can last several minutes if the level of attention is good.

If someone forgets the sequence you can put him out of the game or start again with a new chain.

You can combine different verbs and topics 
"I like chicken" , "I like chicken and..."
"I can play tennis", " I can play tennis and..."
"I'm tall", " I'm tall and..."
etc.

When I played this game with 4-5 year-old children I placed flash cards on the floor to help them remember words.

Enjoy it!

More games: 
THE WORD EATING SNAKE  
I LIKE IT! A GAME   
JUMPING IN AND OUT OF SHAPES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORD CHAIN - Una actividad oral para ayudar a los niños a aprender vocabulario

Este es un juego que reta mucho a los niños y consecuentemente consigue centrar su atención durante mucho tiempo.

Como primera cosa hay que elegir un 'topic'.
Si estáis revisando las partes del cuerpo se puede empezar diciendo:"I have got a head" señalando vuestra cabeza.

El estudiante seguirá diciendo: "I have got a head and 2 hands".
El siguiente dirá: "I have got a head, 2 hands and ten fingers".
Otro repetirá todo lo dicho añadiendo una ulterior parte del cuerpo y a seguir hasta que alguien falle.

Evidentemente las posibles combinaciones son varias:


"I like chicken" , "I like chicken and..."
"I can play tennis", " I can play tennis and..."
"I'm tall", " I'm tall and..."
etc.


Si queréis jugar con niños de 4-5 años, mejor ayudarles con 'flash cards', puestas en el suelo o la mesa en el orden en que se nombran.

Más juegos: 

JUMPING IN AND OUT OF SHAPES



I design series of activities based on a communicative method that will help children to practice the grammar they're learning at school.
Many ESL activities, I see, are nothing more than 'fill in the blank' exercises that only teach kids how to fill in blanks and miss the whole point of learning to speak and understand a new language.
It's much easier and more fun to learn by doing, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll see valuable results. 
You can get my activities on my online store:
http://childreneslworksheets.bigcartel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment